Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gibson Girl...

noun
1.
the idealized American girl of the 1890s as represented in the illustrations of Charles Dana Gibson.
2.
of, indicating, or resembling the characteristic clothing of the Gibson girl, typically a high-necked, fitted blouse or bodice with full puff sleeves and a long skirt with a flared bottom and a tightly fitted waistline.
Origin:
1890–95, Americanism

Our last name was "Gibson" and my Mother loved to share stories and show me old pictures of 
the "Gibson Girls"

And, as a little girl, these prints were hanging in my Mother's bedroom for as long as I can remember.
And now I am ready to hang them in my bedroom...
The prints are signed and dated, these two are Howard Chandler Christy 1905 prints. And thanks to Google I was able to learn quite abit about him. How wonderful is that?
Howard Chandler Christy (January 10, 1873 – March 3, 1952) was an American artist and illustrator famous for the "Christy Girl", similar to a "Gibson Girl".

A recent find...
Whilst out shopping for vintage treasures, my daughter found this delightful glass decanter with Gibson Girl etched upon it with gold lettering. Now how could I resist, I ask you?  It is now washed, cleaned and sparkles and sits upon an old French armoire.

Thanks for visiting, sweet friends...

xoxo
Catherine

No comments: