Monday, February 8, 2010

A preview...

Well am almost finished with my Remains of the Day journal cover. I just need to add a wrap around tie for the cover. Am still on the hunt for the perfect ribbon or fabric to use. This is the outside of the journal, made with bits and pieces of fabric I already had. I have been trying very hard not buy anything for my projects but use up what I have already. The fabric scraps are left overs from my Silver Bella apron, so the journal cover has a very 1950's kitschy feel to it. My usual palette is soft pink, cream, blue thus this is out of my comfort zone. But I stayed true to my commitment to use what I have and I am actually pretty pleased with the end result :) Note, the exception will be the tie, I just can't seem to find what I want amongst my stash, so off to shop I must go.

View with front cover flap open and a peek at the inside fabric, which is oil cloth. Luv the print but would not use oil cloth again, too stiff. I want to use this as a travel journal so I also was very aware of making it travel sturdy and friendly. I need it to be flat and pliable.
Now I just need to finish up the signatures and bind them onto the cover and I will be ready to go.
Check out Mary Ann's class I have had such fun sewing the cover and the paper pages. As I said before I really have never enjoyed sewing very much, but this has been a blast.
XOXO
Catherine


10 comments:

Elena said...

Love the look of your journal! Can't wait to see what you do to the inside!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I just love the colors and the combination of fabrics you used, Catherine. Like you, I am trying to use what I have on hand these days. Funny that I can have all that ribbon and still not have a piece that is just right!

Jennifer said...

Love the fabrics ... so fun!! Hope you find just the right tie to go with it.

Sherri said...

So cute and retroish! This reminds me of Cath Kidston's designs--love it! *Sherri*

jan b. said...

This does indeed have a very retro look to it. Great job and kudos for using what you have ... after all, that IS the idea of this journal. Thanks for sharing.

Debe said...

Love your journal and the colors together are great. Hasn't this been just over the moon fun??

Cristina-Sweet Pea Ink said...

love the little birdies mama!
xoxo

Robin said...

Hi Catherine,
I love your journal! I followed your link from the yahoo group.....and realized we met at Silver Bella! I live in Fairfax...not too far from your daughter!
I'm having the BEST time creating my journal....it's so addicting but BOY have I made a mess of my art room! Trying to purge and clean out a little too. We're in the midst of another blizzard and I have a day off to create.....YAY!
I so enjoyed meeting you at Silver Bella...and what a small world it really is to find you in the ROD yahoo group!
XO
Robin

Cindy Welch said...

so pretty and creative. Just love it

Sian said...

This is gorgeous! I love the colours and the kitschy look.