Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thinking of Paris....

the macaron
In September I shall spend three glorious days in Paris, yes I did say Paris, and I am already day dreaming of all things French.  Paris is one of my most favorite places in the world and I have had the good fortune of visiting several times but it has been about seven years since I have visited the city of light.  Far too long, mes amis!



I luv travel guide books and usually carry several...lol.  On one particular trip I carried Suzy Gershman's Born to Shop Paris  book, and based on her recommendation, I discovered Laudree Tea Room and the amazing confection called macaron.  My first taste was sheer bliss and was the beginning of a long term love affaire.
What is a French Macaron? Unlike its American cousin, which is spelled with 2 O'S and made with coconut, the French Macaron is made with almonds, egg whites and sugar. It consists of 2 delicate pillow like almond merinque wafers which sandwich a luscious flavourful filling.

Oui,  je reviens
Catherine

5 comments:

Terri said...

How well I know these! I have just returned from 11 days in Paris and I ate these every chance I got. I love the caramel and vanilla best. Yes, I know they are the more plain ones, but I adore them!
How fun that you are going to Paris! And to Laduree too! It was my choice for our last meal in Paris. I savored every moment.
Your post is beautiful and you express the tastiness of one of these macarons so well.
I posted about them too as well as other things I did there.
What is your favorite flavor?
Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

hello !
I enjoyed reading about your love for Laduree Macarons. I am French and live near Paris.No need to tell you that we, French, love these macaroons too !!!I even created some in clay and painted them, they really looked like real macaroons(but without any calories..;lol..) but they were just fake.. i did the same with French pastries such as religieuses..lol....
i've also got a blog of tablescaping.
www.doms-tables.over-blog.com
have a good day
dom

Unknown said...

Loved seeing the colorful macaroons! I know you must be soooo excited about your trip to Paris in Sept. I hope you've had a nice trip to Virginia & a safe return.

Unknown said...

Loved seeing the colorful macaroons! I know you must be soooo excited about your trip to Paris in Sept. I hope you've had a nice trip to Virginia & a safe return.

Pamela Jane said...

Like you, I am happily dreaming of my visit to Paris in August. Too bad our trips won't overlap, so we could meet at the Ladurée tea room for lunch. :) But we can still compare notes afterwards!